Chocolate eclairs are one of America’s favorite sweet treats. It was always true when I was growing up–and it’s certainly true with my son, today. When I make the eclairs shaped traditionally–several inches long, rather than in a cream puff shape–my son always says “I’ve got dibbs on Jackpot.” Jackpot, meaning “the big one” on the plate. Of course, Jackpot is never the only one he eats….
Eclairs may be filled with a variety of types of fillings; the one in this recipe is an easy version based on instant pudding mix. This recipe for eclair filling is super-easy and quick to make, and it’s easy for even inexperienced cooks to get consistent results. Plus, pudding is probably the most common type of filling used, because it’s what most consumers expect. However, I’ll be providing a variety of unique (and delicious) recipes for different kinds of eclair fillings in the coming weeks–so please stay tuned!
Ingredients for Chocolate Eclairs
- One batch of Cream Puff Pastry Recipe
- One batch Chocolate Frosting
- 2 large boxes instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp genuine Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup cream or liquid whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cup skim milk
Instructions for How to Make Chocolate Eclairs
- In a large bowl, add both boxes of instant vanilla pudding mix. Add cream, then milk, 1/2 cup at a time, combining well after each addition and making sure that no lumps remain.
- Add vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Using a pastry decorating tool–my personal favorite is the gun-style pastry tool,
because it’s so much easier to use–fill each pastry with vanilla filling.
- Coat the top of each eclair with a thin layer of chocolate frosting.
- Any eclairs not consumed immediately should be refrigerated or frozen. Remember, the pudding contains milk and cream, so is likely to spoil quickly if left out for too long.